Everybody loves corn

Everybody loves corn
After I walked the corn field next to the barn, I thought it was fitting to give the steers a little snack.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Everyone Needs to Do Some Research

I absolutely love YouTube.  Its a great place where you get to share your personal opinions through video...or just post something funny that's gonna give people a good laugh.
I honestly really like watching videos that throw a negative image on Agriculture.  That may seem weird to some, but we need to listen to what other people think and try to educate ourselves on their opinions so that we can have a civil conversations with them.
One of my favorite videos that sparks a lot of controversy is a video entitled Genetic Engineering: The Worlds Greatest Scam.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H9WZGKQeYg&feature=related  Take a second and watch it...
The first thing that hits me in this video is how these "horrible" crops are produced outdoors, I just think it's funny, where else an I going to grow it right??  Anyway, I can see the point that they are trying to make, when we grow these GMO(Genetically Modified Organisms) or "traited" (the term widely used in the industry) plants next to a field that has no traits in the seed, they will cross, and that seed is then modified as well, that's basic pollination principals.  Those plants that are not traited or conventional (term used in the industry) will suffer, because my plant that is glyphosate tolerant, (glyphostate is a herbicide) it is not going to be hurt my corn when I spray for weeds, but herbicide drift will effect my neighbors corn that is conventional, that's a situation where the producers need to work together and talk about what they have in the field.
The next point that GreenPeace hits on is how these traited products are patented and that there is then a dependence on those big companies.  The reason that we have to keep records is because of the United States Department of Agriculture not the company its self.  Another reason we do this is because of basic patenting laws, someone invents something, they throw a patent on it, so that they can make the money for the hard work they put into it.
Something that stands out to me in the next piece is when they are talking about the pesticides.  Yes those companies have the products for a person to use with their seed, making it easier for the farmer to buy products, and know that they are mixing the right things together, again just like Tostitos Chips, they have their own salsa and cheese dip too...Are you seeing how easy it is to put all these things into real life situations??
Pesticide resistance is a big issue that we are starting to face, but, that can be easily fixed by being a better steward to our environment, and as simple as reading the label on the jug.  Some people are careless and do not follow the rules on the jug, and use only those products, it is better to switch out those products and use other ones, then resistance is not going to be an issue.
Does anyone else think the little clip with the animals on the conveyor belt or the "Meat Machine" is funny?? I find it a little amusing.  I may be cold and heartless to some, but that's not how meat production works at all, I'm just going to save that conversation for another time.
Finally to wrap up my little synopsis of this video, yes I agree we really don't know what is going to happen to us if we eat these products, I personally haven't grown a third arm yet, but in time we will find out, just like we now know the effects of smoking, lead based products, and  the use of seat belts.
So next time that you hear anything negative about anything.  Remember this article and think, we really do need to become educated from all angles so that you can then form a formal and educated opinion on why you believe what you believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment