Everybody loves corn

Everybody loves corn
After I walked the corn field next to the barn, I thought it was fitting to give the steers a little snack.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Starting That Final Quarter

Here we are, almost ready to start week two of Spring Quarter here at ATI.  I cannot believe that on June 11, 2011 I will officially be done with school.  But there are a couple things standing in my way, classes and homework.  One of those classes is an Independent Study in Agvocacy.  I personally am going to do a collection of both animal and row crop agvocacy.  Being a livestock producer and a row crop farmer there are a lot of issues that I can face on a daily basis.
The first thing that I think I need to bring attention to is a post I saw on my Facebook wall.  I have a friend that I met at The New Century Farmer Conference that is eating a steak tonight because he has decided to go vegan for a week, he really isn't 100% sure why he is doing it, but to better understand something, might as well try it, right?
This brings to me to my next point; is there really something as being "completely vegan".  I found an interesting picture online about veganism.  It's a picture of a steer showing what all parts of the steer go into different everyday items.  Did you know that products such as chewing gum, crayons, paint, rubber, and fireworks are made of animal fat??  That your favorite anti-aging cream has by-products from the cows brain? Also that our everyday medicines have by-products from multiple parts of the steer.  There are so many more that I haven't listed, and that aren't listed on the picture, leaves me with a thought for you...
Think about what people are telling you, and do some research for yourself, whether you are for or against animal agriculture, because we all need to understand one another's opinions to be able to respect what we all do.
Here is a copy of the link to go check out the picture for yourself! http://fitperez.com/2010-10-26-interesting-picture

No comments:

Post a Comment